Growing up poor

Growing Up Poor: A Personal Story

 You hear a lot about white privilege these days. I’ve never believed in such a thing. I don’t believe it exists. My family was poor during my childhood. My dad had a job in my memories, but he also drank up most of his earnings at the bar, and sometimes he didn’t come home for days at a time. My mom did most of the work when it came to raising us kids. There was myself and my five younger brothers. Needless to say, we were on welfare and food stamps.

Messy House

Our house was always a mess, and we were always wondering where our next meal was going to come from. Mom would frequent all the church emergency food banks and go stand in line for the free government cheese when it was available. The food we got from the food stamps was never enough for six boys. Sometimes relatives would drop off food for us, I remember being so hungry at times I would pray for a relative to bring us some food. That’s a terrible feeling.

Food banks

None of us had a bedroom or a bed for that matter. We all slept in the living room floor with a cushion for a pillow, and a blanket. If we didn’t have a blanket, we had a sheet we covered up with. Many nights we had a pot of beans and maybe a slice of bread with it. In the mornings our mom made what she called sugar-rice.

Sugar rice

We didn’t have much in the way of toys, but we all loved wrestling back then, so one of my brothers and I would draw wrestlers on binder-paper, and we cut them out, and we wrestled with paper dolls. Some Christmases we did get at least one nice gift each.

None of us liked going to school, because I think we all saw ourselves as outcasts and not normal. We knew we didn’t fit in. And for a kid that’s hard. But with all that said, I’m so thankful for my mother who always did the best she could to raise us and provide for us. It wasn’t easy for any of us, but we made it. And no matter what background you come from; everyone can be successful in life. It’s doable. Later in life, I ended up dropping out of high school, but later obtained my diploma from an online school. And landed a career in law enforcement and now make over 100K a year.

So, I firmly believe that anyone can make it no matter what background they come from or what kind of economic lifestyle that they came from.

Thanks for reading,

Lou Buren

Support Lou's blog by shopping our Amazon store.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memory of kindergarten

"Empowering the Homeless: Making a Difference through Donations"

Democrats and their deceptive word play.